Sunday, January 24, 2010

Cookies, Cookies, Don't Forget Your Cookies!


If you have ever spent time at the Reading Terminal Market I'm sure you remember various ladies shouting in your face about cookies.  It just so happens that my favorite spot to eat is directly across from the freakin' cookie stand.  Don't get me wrong, they're really great cookies and no one should go home without one, but I don't want to hear "COOKIES, COOKIES, DON'T FORGET YOUR COOKIES!" every 7 seconds while I'm trying to eat crab bisque.  I was relieved that the cookie stand was packed today; the cookie ladies didn't have much time to corral more people over to their line of customers.  The cookies are a little pricey so I make sure to pick up ingredients to make my own cookies while I'm at RTM.  The sugar cookies seen below are pretty simple and most if not all of the ingredients are found in the standard kitchen.  I picked up some sparkly sprinkles and flax seed to make egg substitutes. 

I've given these to a number of friends and they all rave about them, so I recommend trying out this ridiculously easy recipe.  These are standard vegan sugar cookies that I decided to roll into balls and coat with sprinkles.  I also rolled some in a mix of cinnamon and sugar.  Sugar cookies are great to personalize for holidays, birthdays, special events or what not.  The dough's texture and consistancy is easy to work with so cookie cutters and sprinkles should definitely be involved to spice up your cookie life.  Onto the recipe..
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease two cookie sheets.
Combine in bowl:
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Combine in separate bowl:
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c veggie oil
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 egg substitute aka combine 1 tbsp of ground flax seed with 2 tbsp of water (whisk this mixture until it has the consistency of an egg)

Then add the wet mixture to the dry and begin mixing the dough until it is one solid lump that sort of resembles bread dough, if it is too wet add a little flour, if it needs moisture add a small amount of oil.

After the dough is mixed you can roll it flat and cut it with cookie cutters or simply break off pieces and roll them into balls and coat them with sprinkles. 

After about 7-9 minutes in the oven the cookies should be finished, check the bottom to make sure they're golden brown..then enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. nice! I made some blondies that flopped, so cookies it is!

    ReplyDelete